Posted on Leave a comment

A 1917 view of one of the shell workshops at the Cunard Shell Works in Bootle, with a female worker in the foreground using a heavy lathe to begin shaping the interior cavity of a large shell casing. In 1915 the Cunard Steamship Company’s store and engineering works at Rimrose Road, Bootle, was converted to operation as a munitions factory. The predominantly female workforce manufactured various sizes of shells

.

Posted on Leave a comment

Workers watching the 4000 ton press slabbing an armour plate ingot at Cammell Laird’s Cyclop’s Ordnance Steel Tyre and Spring Works in Grimesthorpe. The factory also produced shells during the war. Charles Cammell and Company’s Grimesthorpe Works were built in 1865. The firm merged with Laird, Son & Company in 1903 to form Cammell Laird and Company who commissioned this photograph. 1913

.